Friday, May 11, 2007

Blair is leaving office

Read at the front page of South China Morning Post after lunch today that British PM Tony Blair is stepping down on 27th June. I (plus Teck Loon, probably) remember this speech of his most strikingly:

"Can we be sure that terrorism and weapons of mass destruction will join together? Let us say one thing. If we are wrong we will have destroyed a threat that, at its least, is responsible for inhuman carnage and suffering. That is something I am confident history will forgive. If our critics are wrong, if we are right as I believe with every fibre of instinct and conviction I have that we are, and we do not act, then we will have hesitated in the face of this menace when we should have given leadership; that is something history will not forgive."

He spoke the above on 17 July 2003, at an address to the US congress in defence for his (and Bush's) "war against terrorism".

The report ended by saying that the world will miss him for his leadership and determination; we will miss him too, for his brilliant rhetorical speeches.

The above speech can be modified and be used in an argument in a "creative" manner. For example, if I want to argue with NUS Chemistry department to revamp the organic syllabus, then something along this line will be great:

"Can we be sure that current organic syllabus will benefit the students and give them a wholesome education? Let me say one thing. If I am wrong I will have remove an outdated and poorly-planned syllabus that, at its least, is responsible for the lost of interest of some students and the lack of academic rigour. That is something I am confident history will forgive. If my critics are wrong, if I am right as I believe with every fibre of instinct and conviction I have that I am, and I do not act, then I will have hesitated in the face of this debate when I am given the opportunity; that is something history will not forgive."

Lol. Sounds cheesy. Ha.

No comments: